7.0 beta 1 - News / Message Display (bottom left)

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Tecond
x4

7.0 beta 1 - News / Message Display (bottom left)

Post by Tecond » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 22:37

Hi,

The message display (bottom left) is permanently in the foreground. Basically it's good that you don't miss anything on the map, but the left possession bar or the construction menu are extremely annoying. This is particularly common when many individual ships are trading.

I'm afraid there needs to be another solution here. At least you can click through it, but the window is not transparent enough for this.

Lg
Mein FanArt via Let‘s Play und Co.

https://youtube.com/@tecond-x
:boron: :teladi: :split: :paranid: :goner: :xenon: :khaak: :pirat:

Tecond
x4

Re: 7.0 beta 1 - News / Message Display (bottom left)

Post by Tecond » Sat, 6. Apr 24, 22:41

Last edited by Terre on Sun, 7. Apr 24, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked
Mein FanArt via Let‘s Play und Co.

https://youtube.com/@tecond-x
:boron: :teladi: :split: :paranid: :goner: :xenon: :khaak: :pirat:

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Sun, 7. Apr 24, 01:00

Ironically, as much as I kind of yearned for the message ticker to be visable outside of FP view, my observation of this implementation has me agreeing with you.

..just not integrated well into the rest of the HUD layouts. Makes sense now why it was not anywhere but FP view previously.

Without an option to remove it or some other display format it's just not acceptable.

Boronenkumpel
x4

Post by Boronenkumpel » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 23:23

Yeah, i just ran into that too. I'm not actually sure it's intentional, looks to me like the UI layers aren't being ordered properly during rendering.

If that is the case, i can confirm the issue on an Intel Arc 750 with the 5382 driver
Religious wars happen when grown-ups start quarreling about who has the coolest imaginary friend

RIP XOA

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 11:45

I finally got around to seeing what can be done as a work-around..

Not a fix exactly but helpful IMO. With any luck this will not be the 'solution' to a more reasonable GUI integration of that thing.

If/when the image bombs.. It's "Notifications Settings" in the Player Info -> Global ares of the settings.

seePyou
x4

Feedback 7.0 beta - messages over other elements

Post by seePyou » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 11:46

7.00 beta 528865

he message UI element is always on top of everything. If that were an option that I could select whether I want it to be always on top or not, that would be fantastic. My preference is for it not to appear over anything unless I'm actively piloting something and have no other elements open such as the map or station building etc.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 15:05

Tecond wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 24, 22:37
Hi,

The message display (bottom left) is permanently in the foreground. Basically it's good that you don't miss anything on the map, but the left possession bar or the construction menu are extremely annoying. This is particularly common when many individual ships are trading.

I'm afraid there needs to be another solution here. At least you can click through it, but the window is not transparent enough for this.

Lg
I'm getting the message ticker comes to the front (either when I am on the Map, or Station Build UI) .. But only when a new message occurs.
After a few seconds the messages fade out and the message ticker goes back into the background.

For me its not permanently at the front.

With its current behaviour of just appearing on a new message and then fading out, and the fact that you can click through it, I have got used to it being the way it is now (though I must admit at first it was annoying).
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 18:30

Depends on how long your object list is and how many messages you get. :mrgreen:

When I loaded up a mature game save the notices were non-stop a lot of times reaching up to the middle of the screen almost I think.

Clicking through doesn't soften the uncertainty of the status of the little shield & hull lines which get covered (and I am most always looking at).

Turning off some of the notices like shown in the screenshot does help a lot, but no matter what it's covering stats on the lower portion of the object/property list that are much more important IMO that most of the messages that remain popping up.

RE: my first post about the beta (locked! :doh: )
I suggest replacement within the map view with a new format also. The hologram/hud look doesn't fit will in the grid like layout of the map... or even like a ticker, scroll across the bottom row out of the way of anything else the map has/needs to contain.

FatalKeks
x4

7.0 Disbale notifications while in map mode?

Post by FatalKeks » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 22:53

I think the notifications popping up in the bottom left corner while beeing in map mode is new to 7.0?
They often obscure the interface, is it possible to add opacity to the notifactions or disable them?

seePyou
x4

Post by seePyou » Mon, 15. Apr 24, 08:37

donzi wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 18:30
Depends on how long your object list is and how many messages you get. :mrgreen:
Exactly that. With all the factories and traders I have, the message ticker is always on screen with a message about credits or reputation changes.

donzi
x4

Re: 7.0 Disbale notifications while in map mode?

Post by donzi » Mon, 15. Apr 24, 16:07

A little relief I found here.

FatalKeks
x4

Re: 7.0 Disbale notifications while in map mode?

Post by FatalKeks » Mon, 15. Apr 24, 21:09

Thanks. I missed that thread. Adding more opacity for the message box would be an okay solution in my opinion.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Mon, 15. Apr 24, 22:07

Hello everyone.

In places I can't mention, there was a lot of discussion about this new feature when it was first implemented. The arguments were very similar to yours.

I have therefore found a temporary solution, but I am not sure that it will work for everyone.

In practice, by scaling the UI to 0.8 points, you obtain a natural scaling of the text of the entire interface.
This leads to a dynamic and adaptive modification of the various windows, including the one that overlaps the message pane.
For example, in my case, with a resolution of 2560x1440, I get this type of display. However, this does not mean that it can give the same result in your case.
For this reason I invite you to test your UI scaling values individually (0.9-0.8-0.7 etc), in order to obtain more or less the same result.

Obviously, the only side effect is that the text size could be significantly reduced and the interface could be very difficult to read.
Conversely, some menus will become much more readable, such as the commercial one.

In any case, one way to solve this interface problem would be to ensure that the main window, regardless of the resolution or UI scaling used,
has the size limited to a certain height, even sacrificing the ship list, so that the message window can be contained in that space, without overlapping.
Or move that window elsewhere (such as up) and change its basic shape (for example smaller and rectangular in shape).

Greetings ;)
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Tue, 16. Apr 24, 11:55

Adjusting the scaling was my first attempt to find a work-around.

I had something that looked pretty good, but then depending on the property list manipulation (IIRC expanding station,fleet, etc) the left side data was again extending to the bottom and able to be covered in 1920x1080.

I tried 2-3 adjustments but nothing was suitable so I replaced the beta with 6.20 since I was so annoyed with the thing.. :evil:

Then, lol, I was like wow I can't this or that in 6.20, those other things in the beta were really nice! ..back to the beta after a day.

Going to step through the increments now as you reccomend and see what comes of it.

I understand it's not a game breaking/show stopper issue and there are certainly other things to focus on which do break things.
Nonetheless, going from full unobstructed view as 6.20 to what currently exists I predict will remain a sore spot.

The notification setting adjustments I have been using are pretty good for not covering the data, but hardly an ideal solution.

The odd thing about it is, "well there ya go, here's the message box you asked for.." but the vidcom isn't shown too; which seems to suffer by being absent from the map view.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Tue, 16. Apr 24, 13:13

After another go with scaling, in my case the dynamic resize of the list would still adjust itself.

Some instances the bottom of the list (remaining scrollable) would move up almost enough to totally clear the messages. However various actions would cause the list resize to full length of the menu area same as my previous attempt. :(

On the positive side, I almost could fully see the ship actions and hull/shield info without obstruction.
-=SiR KiLLaLoT=- wrote:
Mon, 15. Apr 24, 22:07
In any case, one way to solve this interface problem would be to ensure that the main window, regardless of the resolution or UI scaling used,
has the size limited to a certain height, even sacrificing the ship list, so that the message window can be contained in that space, without overlapping.
Or move that window elsewhere (such as up) and change its basic shape (for example smaller and rectangular in shape).
Fingers crossed for something.. for now, pick your poison. I've gotten fairly used to turing off a lot of the notifications so at least messages are not so frequent and usually not moving up as far.

nflszhu
x4

[7.0 BETA 2] Bottom Left Message Box Blocking Menu

Post by nflszhu » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 03:51

Hi all,

It seems that the bottom left message / notification box is now blocking other menu items. Is there a way to send it to the back so I can properly interact with the other menu?

Example screenshot below, where I can't easily select any assets at the bottom of the list:

https://imgur.com/a/PA0AHfV

Thank you!

Scoob
x4

Re: [7.0 BETA 2] Bottom Left Message Box Blocking Menu

Post by Scoob » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 13:13

Indeed. It used to be that this panel would vanish say when we open up the map. Now, it'll often stay there, making it particularly hard to select any Property / local sector items listed down the left. Indeed, I was trying to rename some ships last night, but had to wait for the overlaying panel to vanish before I could.

Is this a deliberate attempt to help the player so we don't potentially miss important messages? I've noticed with the lower right video panel, that messages there (usually comms from my ships) seem to "buffer" now, in that I'll close the map, can then potentially get a sequence of messages. I sit at my HQ a lot at the mo - Empire Management phase - so am using the map there.

Berhg
x4

Message popups in lower left of screen appearing in the map blocks view of ship list

Post by Berhg » Sun, 5. May 24, 19:53

The message popups in the lower left of the cockpit now show through while viewing the map. Its become disruptive to my gameplay because it blocks my view of the properties list and the ship commands menu popup. Its very frustrating during combat when time is important. In a well developed save messages constantly appear and block the properties list.
Save the bunnies! RTFM

[ external image ]

Mr.Killer
x4

Messages overlap ships-list

Post by Mr.Killer » Mon, 6. May 24, 09:55

Is it possible like the radar range-screen to move the messages screen out of the way in maps view?
Everytime it is busy displaying messages, it overlaps the ships I need to configure or add to another ships defence/attack etc... It is just so overlapping that I have to wait precious seconds for the message to go away to do this action. I hope this will be possible so that incoming messages, and there's a lot sometimes when battles are going on, not interfere with ship actions that are crucial.

In viewscreen HUD, it is no problem, but mapview? selecting ships? I do hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks.
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 6. May 24, 13:31

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 15:05
With its current behaviour of just appearing on a new message and then fading out, and the fact that you can click through it, I have got used to it being the way it is now (though I must admit at first it was annoying).
I changed my mind. Its still a PITA.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”