[7.0 b4] When taking control of NPC piloted ship during travel drive, "Stop Engine" does not stop the engine

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Falcrack
x4

[7.0 b4] When taking control of NPC piloted ship during travel drive, "Stop Engine" does not stop the engine

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 3. May 24, 14:52

This issue was reported earlier, but I think the devs think the issue is resolved, but it is not. See the attached save. Quickly double click on the pilot seat in front of you after loading the game to take control. If you double click fast enough and take control before the ship slows down, you will be in travel drive. Then try pressing the "Stop Engine" button (ie backspace), and notice that the engines do not actually stop, it keeps on flying in travel drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WKvqqc ... sp=sharing

Scoob
x4

Re: [7.0 b4] When taking control of NPC piloted ship during travel drive, "Stop Engine" does not stop the engine

Post by Scoob » Fri, 3. May 24, 19:47

Do you find that when this happens toggling Auto-Pilot will then allow Stop Engine to exit travel mode? For me, it's like the Pilot's last command is still being run as Auto-pilot, so pressing the button turns it off, giving control back to the player.

Falcrack
x4

Re: [7.0 b4] When taking control of NPC piloted ship during travel drive, "Stop Engine" does not stop the engine

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 3. May 24, 21:11

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 3. May 24, 19:47
Do you find that when this happens toggling Auto-Pilot will then allow Stop Engine to exit travel mode? For me, it's like the Pilot's last command is still being run as Auto-pilot, so pressing the button turns it off, giving control back to the player.
Turning on the autopilot will cancel it, as will turning the travel drive mode on and off. It's just the issue of "Stop Engines" not actually cancelling the travel drive.

You have to get in the driver's seat very quickly (ie double click on the chair) to be able to observe this.

Candergart
x4

Post by Candergart » Sat, 4. May 24, 11:07

I have noticed that you sometimes have to engage the travel drive to be able to stop it.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Sat, 4. May 24, 18:32

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 3. May 24, 14:52
[...]Quickly double click on the pilot seat in front of you after loading the game to take control. If you double click fast enough and take control before the ship slows down, you will be in travel drive. Then try pressing the "Stop Engine" button (ie backspace), and notice that the engines do not actually stop, it keeps on flying in travel drive.
This is happening because by 2-click you are jumping into seat with existing ship state still going (and the pilot is well 'sitting on your lap' for a moment) you are in autopilot mode which can sometimes - if the ship had sequential orders - put you in the limbo. Disable autopilot 1st. Then everything works as expected.
This is not happening if you evict the pilot 'gently'.
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 4. May 24, 19:15

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 18:32
Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 3. May 24, 14:52
[...]Quickly double click on the pilot seat in front of you after loading the game to take control. If you double click fast enough and take control before the ship slows down, you will be in travel drive. Then try pressing the "Stop Engine" button (ie backspace), and notice that the engines do not actually stop, it keeps on flying in travel drive.
This is happening because by 2-click you are jumping into seat with existing ship state still going (and the pilot is well 'sitting on your lap' for a moment) you are in autopilot mode which can sometimes - if the ship had sequential orders - put you in the limbo. Disable autopilot 1st. Then everything works as expected.
This is not happening if you evict the pilot 'gently'.
The autopilot is not on when I enter the pilot seat this way, as of 7.0 b4. I think they fixed the issue of autopilot being on when entering the seat for b4, but the issue of being in travel drive and pressing "stop engine" not actually stopping the engine remains.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Sat, 4. May 24, 19:25

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 19:15
The autopilot is not on when I enter the pilot seat this way, as of 7.0 b4. I think they fixed the issue of autopilot being on when entering the seat for b4, but the issue of being in travel drive and pressing "stop engine" not actually stopping the engine remains.
Nope. It is still that way. You cannot disable TD because you are on 'pilot autopilot' and 'throttle full stop' does not responding ofc. like it does on 'player autopilot'.

I learned that yesterday when my genious pilot travelled me into middle of I+K and F-spam futile invasion on Hatikva and regardles of my attempts, that 'pilot-autopilot' happily drove me right unto the I belly. That was kind of fun.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 4. May 24, 19:58

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 19:25
Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 19:15
Nope. It is still that way. You cannot disable TD because you are on 'pilot autopilot' and 'throttle full stop' does not responding ofc. like it does on 'player autopilot'.

I learned that yesterday when my genious pilot travelled me into middle of I+K and F-spam futile invasion on Hatikva and regardles of my attempts, that 'pilot-autopilot' happily drove me right unto the I belly. That was kind of fun.
Nope. Autopilot is not on, I can adjust the course of the ship, which is not the case with autopilot. Travel drive just refuses to shut off with pressing the stop engine button. As I have stated repeatedly now.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Sat, 4. May 24, 21:10

hm - that's odd. I have not experienced such a behaviour, yet. Will do some trying tonight.

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Mon, 6. May 24, 19:07

https://youtu.be/DYmWsntAS6U

I took control of the ship in the video that was already in travel mode. when i got to the next sector i wanted to stop and the ship refused to exit travel mode. i had toggle travel mode with that key before stop engines would work.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Tue, 7. May 24, 01:10

sry - could not reproduce the issue. :cry:

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Tue, 7. May 24, 02:09

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Tue, 7. May 24, 01:10
sry - could not reproduce the issue. :cry:
are you using a new save to test or an old one? reason i ask is i am having a problem with the crisis mission on a save created in 7.0B3 but i loaded up an old save and it works fine. now i wonder how many of these difficult to reproduce issues are dependent on when the save was created?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 7. May 24, 06:39

This issue can be reproduced with any npc piloted ship in travel drive. You just need to double cl8ck on the back of the chair so that you take control immediately. If you cluck once, and wait for the pilot to get in the seat, then cluck again to get in the seat, you will have waited too long and the ship will already be stopped.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 11. May 24, 00:38

This issue remains for beta 5.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”