Sheild UI - Unable to read during hits

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

dcarver
x4

Sheild UI - Unable to read during hits

Post by dcarver » Sun, 5. May 24, 20:23

Hard to read shield level when it shakes, and worse is the full bar goes RED while being hit. I always need to quickly know current level, if you want to add something it could be how much is lost over a time period. You are going a 'Glow' route so perhaps give a glow to how much is lost.

I don't come to your office and start shaking your monitor, and hiding the clock, while getting closer to end of a busy workday.

MageKingS70
x4

Re: Sheild UI - Unable to read during hits

Post by MageKingS70 » Wed, 8. May 24, 20:23

dcarver wrote:
Sun, 5. May 24, 20:23
and worse is the full bar goes RED while being hit.
...No? It flashes, but if the whole bar is red... you don't have shields anymore.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Wed, 8. May 24, 21:04

MageKingS70 wrote:
Wed, 8. May 24, 20:23
...No? It flashes, but if the whole bar is red... you don't have shields anymore.
However, it shouldn't flash red; it's too difficult to discern, especially when the lost shield is also indicated in red.
Flashing red is acceptable, but it would be better if the lost shield is displayed in a brighter blue or another distinguishable color.

MageKingS70
x4

Post by MageKingS70 » Thu, 9. May 24, 08:12

flywlyx wrote:
Wed, 8. May 24, 21:04
MageKingS70 wrote:
Wed, 8. May 24, 20:23
However, it shouldn't flash red; it's too difficult to discern, especially when the lost shield is also indicated in red.
Flashing red is acceptable, but it would be better if the lost shield is displayed in a brighter blue or another distinguishable color.
I'm personally colorblind, so I'm used to confusing two similar colors, but the shield bar doesn't look (to me) like it flashes red at all.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Thu, 9. May 24, 21:12

Agree. In beta I have trouble to understand how much I have shield during combat. Shield bar flashing at full length, not current shield capacity - it’s misleading.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Fri, 10. May 24, 16:39

MageKingS70 wrote:
Thu, 9. May 24, 08:12
I'm personally colorblind, so I'm used to confusing two similar colors, but the shield bar doesn't look (to me) like it flashes red at all.
So it is actually 2 shades of red but could only identified by colorblind people?
Or is there a colorblind mode? Have you adjusted the color theme in the setting?

MageKingS70
x4

Post by MageKingS70 » Sun, 12. May 24, 17:28

flywlyx wrote:
Fri, 10. May 24, 16:39
Or is there a colorblind mode? Have you adjusted the color theme in the setting?
I have tweaked the colorblind settings, but nothing related to the shield bar; I mostly just fiddle with the holomap_component_* colors so I can actually tell what I have and have not already scanned.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sun, 12. May 24, 20:21

MageKingS70 wrote:
Sun, 12. May 24, 17:28
I have tweaked the colorblind settings, but nothing related to the shield bar; I mostly just fiddle with the holomap_component_* colors so I can actually tell what I have and have not already scanned.
You're correct. Upon capturing a screenshot and examining the color during the flashing, I discovered that the exsiting section appears somewhat purple, whereas the depleted shield is displayed in red.
However, it's quite challenging to discern such subtle variations in color.

MageKingS70
x4

Post by MageKingS70 » Sun, 12. May 24, 22:31

flywlyx wrote:
Sun, 12. May 24, 20:21
You're correct. Upon capturing a screenshot and examining the color during the flashing, I discovered that the exsiting section appears somewhat purple, whereas the depleted shield is displayed in red.
However, it's quite challenging to discern such subtle variations in color.
Aha; in this case, it appears that my colorblindness is giving me an advantage here, as the type of colorblindness I have means red looks much dimmer. I'm not sure which color is used for the flashing part, but the red part should be crosshair_shield_damage, so you could try changing that to, say, red_dark_glow instead of red_glow and see if that helps.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sun, 12. May 24, 23:50

MageKingS70 wrote:
Sun, 12. May 24, 22:31
Aha; in this case, it appears that my colorblindness is giving me an advantage here, as the type of colorblindness I have means red looks much dimmer. I'm not sure which color is used for the flashing part, but the red part should be crosshair_shield_damage, so you could try changing that to, say, red_dark_glow instead of red_glow and see if that helps.
Yeah, that's the color, but I think they made it blink by altering the transparency of the shield color. So, I'll need to switch to a highly contrasting color to improve visibility.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Mon, 13. May 24, 21:10

Agreed, someone player Elden Ring too much and liked the "hit, see damage, then damage bar reduced to new level". It does flash in red so you can't easily see the actual damage being taken compared to what the shield bar will be after everything has settled down. Its quite un-user friendly, especially ata time when you need to see that information very clearly.

If the "this is what the damage will be" part to a obviously different colour (eg blue) then it might be acceptable, but I think its an addition that never needed to be made.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”